£58m Star Face Massive Battle With Man Utd Manager
ANTHONY MARTIAL is facing a new battle to win over Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho.
The French striker was axed completely from the 18-man squad for the draw at Stoke on Saturday.
When asked about his absence, Mourinho simply said the £58 million forward was ‘not selected’.
Reports in his homeland yesterday suggested the 21-year-old and his camp are unhappy about his latest omission.
It came just six days after he was hauled off midway through the second half of the draw with Liverpool at Old Trafford.
That day he failed to get much change out of rookie Kop defender Trent Alexander-Arnold and Mourinho lost patience eventually.
The United chief was unhappy when Martial’s agent claimed they were studying the possibility of a loan move to Seville in late December.
The Special One told the forward to listen to him in future – rather than his advisers.
He was back in the team and on the scoresheet for the New Year’s Eve win over Middlesbrough and the FA Cup triumph against Reading.
Martial is unlikely to go anywhere this month – but the latest chop has raised fresh doubts about his long-term future.
The French ace impressed last season under Louis van Gaal but has started only 15 games in all competitions this term.
Meanwhile Luke Shaw was back in training on Monday after recovering from a groin injury.
Mourinho said last week the England full-back is having a ‘difficult time’ after his broken leg last year – but he is nearing his latest comeback.