Journo Confirms: Man United Eye Shock £145m Double Deal
MANCHESTER UNITED will have to wait to see if they can complete a stunning raid on Atletico Madrid, Guillem Balague believes.
The Times reported earlier this month that Jose Mourinho wants Atletico duo Antoine Griezmann and Saul Niguez in a huge double swoop next summer.
The star pair have release clauses totalling £145m on their current contracts but that would not put United off.
Griezmann and Niguez’s futures at Atletico are not clear as of yet amid rumours Diego Simeone could leave the club at the end of the season.
Spanish football expert and journalist Balague says if Simeone decides to stay put for another year, that could scupper United’s hopes of signing the two superstars.
He told Sky Sports: “Neither Niguez nor Griezmann have made a decision on their futures.
“That is 100 per cent the case because they want to see what happens with Simeone.
“Atletico expect their manager to stay one more year, which means the club also expects Saul and Griezmann to stay one more year.”
Atletico have struggled in La Liga this season and are currently fourth in the table, nine points behind leaders Real who have a game in hand.
Simeone’s side take on Real Betis at the Vicente Calderon Stadium tomorrow evening.
United, meanwhile, face a huge Premier League clash against Liverpool at Old Trafford on Sunday.
Mourinho’s men are sixth the top-flight table at the moment but could break into the league’s top four if results go their way this weekend.