Victor Lindelof is due to undergo a medical with Manchester United next week after agreeing terms over a £35m move from Benfica this summer, according to reports in Portugal today.
Jose Mourinho is gearing-up for a busy summer in the transfer market as he looks to build a squad capable of challenging for top honours next season and a new dominant defender appears to be on the agenda.
With the future of Chris Smalling in serious doubt, Mourinho is looking for a replacement and recent reports from the Daily Mail claimed United were closing in on a deal to land long-term target Lindelof.
The Swedish international was strongly linked with a move to Old Trafford earlier in the year before seemingly ending speculation over his future by signing a new contract in March.
However, that didn’t put United off and Portuguese outlet Desporto Ao Minuto is citing a report from the Record newspaper that claims a deal with Benfica has now been agreed.
The report says United will pay an initial £30.8m (€35m) up front with a further £4.4m (€5m) coming in additional performance-based add ons and Lindelof is due to undergo his medical after agreeing personal terms over the switch.
The 22-year-old is currently away with the Sweden squad ahead of their upcoming international double-header but the newspaper says he’ll have his medical after the World Cup qualifier against Norway next Tuesday night.
If these reports are accurate then it looks as though Mourinho is closing in on his first major signing of the summer and Lindelof should prove to be an excellent long-term signing for the Red Devils.
The youngster joined Benfica’s youth system in 2012 and has developed in to one of the most highly-rated centre-backs in Europe over the past few years so I think he has the potential to be a superb partner for Eric Bailly at Old Trafford.